9KITCHENS, a sisterhood project
Updated: Jan 22
It has been 2 weeks since we sent you any communication, our amazing supporters! But we can not end this year without updating on the love and success we received from our neighbors and supporters.
We started the 9Kitchens project with the intention to provide an income to migrant women facing challenges in accessing foreign labour markets as many do not have formal qualification, are not proficient in English, have to look after their young children and can not afford childcare or are just subject to discrimination were the ones we met during the first lockdown. The women were strong and were able to work only if someone could give them the chance to hire them and to understand their constraints.
Since we started the project on 17 October:
● 1000 people enjoyed our meals
● 95% of our meals were plant-based
● 350 local families placed an order
● 120 hours of work for migrant women paid above the UK real living wage.
● 2 of our female chefs are now private cooks for local families
What’s our goal?
● to create a partnership with a charity to receive grants for an upskilling project for our women Chefs.
● to upping our delivery experience with better bags and more professional looking labels.
● 100% committed to the environment and will be offering Indian tiffin containers to all our customers to reduce the amount of packaging waste as much as possible.
● grow our team and will be looking for additional volunteers and mentors to help us grow 9Kitchens.
Thank you for supporting us! Happy New Year!
Diane and Kieu-My